Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Workin' Out, Baby!

So, here I sit at my computer with a cup of Java (with Hazelnut creamer, I might add) and it is only 7:59 a.m....Y es, ladies and gents, I got up at 6:15 to meet Adriane at the baseball field by 6:30 and head out on the bike path towards the Marina....we walked a little, jogged a little, talked a lot...It was super fantastic. I even had time to shower and put Lukey down for a little snooze so I could blog. (T is of course watching Dora or Diego...don't they make ANY shows that teach the kids French?).
This evening I will register my son for Kindergarten....seriously...where the heck did the time go? I remember that first week we had him and he was in the hospital still (born a month early..long story) and I was waiting for Lynnie to come home from work so we could go up to Pocatello to visit him for the day. Some of it is kind of a blur, good thing I have the video camera, but I have great memories of him...and now we start another chapter in his life. No, No, I didn't cry when he started Pre-School. I didn't cry when he rode his bike without training wheels. Nor did I cry when he had stitches from a fall at the baby-sitters.....but there is something about walking into the elementary school and registering your baby for kindergarten....I got all sorts of emotional...and tonight we will get to meet the teachers and sit through a talk on how to get him ready for the "transistion"......I don't think it is the fact that he is starting school and leaving me for three hours a day...no, I gladly welcome that break. I think it is the fact that my mother has always told me that when they start school the time just flies...and I haven't mastered the living for today thing...the mommy part where you just can sit there and enjoy them and hold them and live for the moment. So, this summer we are headed to the park everyday...to the Library every Friday and we are going to spend that quality time as a family...kind of a celebration before time starts to slip away....and I want to continue it even when they are older. I love the Sunday dinner thing....every Sunday when it is an unspoken event..you just show up at Mom's house and the whole family is there. After church, sit down to a great comforting meal, great conversation, family, friends..and then everyone heads to the livingroom to read the paper, crochet, read, talk, play the piano, nap....it is such a wonderful time. I remember those times we would go to Grandma's house for dinner on Sunday...the whole family would be there and it would be such an awesome meal....my mouth is watering...and great family time. I spent a summer in France and it was almost a mandatory thing that even though you had lunch with the family everyday, Sundays were the day that you met and ate with extended family and friends...everyone was invited for a huge meal and games and great fellowship....It was awesome...a time to relax but also a time to catch up...I just love this concept...So, this is another one of my goals...
Goal List:
1.) Run a 5k
2.) Spend more time as a family

So, everyone, turn off the t.v., clear off your diningroom tables, fix something great to eat and spend time with your little families...then after dinner instead of turning the tube back on play a game, read together, or go outside and play catch....time is precious...James 4:14 says "...You don't even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

Have a great day!!!

1 comment:

  1. So again, go team you! I hate exercise so I admire those who do it regularly.

    As for the Kindergarten thing, time flies no matter how old your kids are. (Except for elementary school music programs. Time slows waaaaay down for those.) I remember feeling like I had finally arrived as a mother once my oldest started school. Not that you're not a mom until then, but school just makes it all so much more real.

    And you are absolutely right: spend as much time together as a family now and in the future. It's vital!

    Okay, I'll get off my soapbox here and go preach from my own blog.

    ReplyDelete